Take a look at the Modern Drummer’s list
Everybody knows, that reading is good. It develops and trains our mind in many ways. Books for drummers are even more important. Why? Beacuse they give us the opportunity to improve our technique, way of the approach to the drum kit, thay give us strength to carry on during the boring time of excercising. The satisfaction, which we get after we learn something new is just beyond words. Modern Drummer Magazine posted their list of the books, which are very helpful. We will take a closer look just at the two well known positions. We count on you and your curiosity- learn as much as you can about every book from the list!
- STICK CONTROL FOR THE SNARE DRUMMER by George Lawrence
Stone. This book was at the very top of the popularity list. For decades it has been used by drummers and percussionists of all genres to develop the hands as well as hand/foot coordination.
- MASTER STUDIES by Joe Morello. When Joe Morello was studying with George Lawrence Stone, he would create his own variations of the Stick Control patterns. Master Studiesincludes those exercises, along with material that Morello himself used to develop his formidable technique.
- THE NEW BREED by Gary Chester
- ADVANCED FUNK STUDIES by Rick Latham
- REALISTIC ROCK by Carmine Appice
- GROOVE ALCHEMY by Stanton Moore
- THE COMMANDMENTS OF R&B DRUMMING by Zoro
- FUTURE SOUNDS by David Garibaldi
- THE DRUMSET MUSICIAN by Rod Morgenstein and Rick Mattingly
- ADVANCED TECHNIQUES FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER by Jim Chapin
- THE ART OF BOP DRUMMING by John Riley
- MODERN RUDIMENTAL SWING SOLOS by Charley Wilcoxon
- PATTERNS, VOLUME 1, 2, 3, 4 by Gary Chaffee
- 4-WAY COORDINATION by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fine
- EVEN IN THE ODDS by Ralph Humphrey
- DRUMSET ESSENTIALS, VOLUME 1 by Peter Erskine
- THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DOUBLE BASS DRUMMING by Bobby Rondinelli i Michael Lauren
- BASS DRUM CONTROL by Colin Bailey
- THE SOUND OF BRUSHES by Ed Thigpen
- PROGRESSIVE STEPS TO SYNCOPATION FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER by Ted Reed
- BUDDY RICH’S MODERN INTERPRETATION OF SNARE DRUM RUDIMENTS
by Buddy Rich and Henry Adler
- PORTRAITS IN RHYTHM by Anthony J. Cirone
- MODERN READING TEXT IN 4/4 by Louie Bellson i Gil Breines
- AFRO-CUBAN RHYTHMS FOR DRUMSET by Frank Malabe i Bob Weiner
- WEST AFRICAN RHYTHMS FOR DRUMSET by Royal Hartigan
There is no competition, the places on the list are connected with certain categories, such as playing with brushes, developing bass drum technique, or playing on the jazz drum set. Use the precious knowledge locked in those books, you will become a better player, with open head and wide musical horizons!
Source of information: www.moderndrummer.comShare